As snow falls in March, it’s easy to feel a little downbeat about the city you live in – and those of us living in London are no exception.
But when you stop and look around, or do a search on Twitter, it’s clear there are many, many reasons why 8,174,100 people are proud to call this vast metropolis their home.
So I’ve compiled 13 touching snapshots of this sprawling, multi-faceted place to help us remind ourselves just why London is the best city you could possibly live in, out of ALL of them.
1. London offers a warm welcome to all its international visitors
Is it just me or are the people of London becoming angrier and more aggressive? Just seen a tourist being shouted at for ‘being in the way’.
— Ida (@AskeIda) March 25, 2013
2. London is a hotbed of romantic intrigue
A man on the tube has just thrown up over a girl’s bag. Happy Valentine’s Day.
— Selin (@selinc__) February 14, 2013
3. London takes pride in its appearance
— Heather Steele (@HeatherBake) March 19, 2013
4. London has a robust and reliable public transport system
TFL is the cause of 99% of my failures
— Aidan (@AColeshill_) March 26, 2013
5. London is a haven for urban nature and wildlife lovers
Just saw a pigeon fly directly into a woman’s face. Full force. London is brilliant. — Kate’Brawn’Cherrell (@KateCherrell) March 24, 2013
6. London has a rich selection of inspiring public exhibitions
London is such a romantic city. And I’m not just saying that because I saw a couple in their 60s making out in a museum — Jenny (@LawlMeMaybe) March 21, 2013
7. London has an inclusive attitude towards all creeds and cultures
I’m not trying to sound melodramatic, but I’m 99% sure that I just saw Hitler on the London Underground. — peej (@kickthepj) November 28, 2012
8. London is alive with ambition and entrepreneurial spirit
I just saw a guy who always begs for money near London bridge in a suit, tie and shoes at Liverpool street. — MrFinale’DanzeySwift (@danz_the_boxer) March 19, 2013
9. London is intent on providing affordable housing for all
Just seen a 3 bedroom flat in London values at £1.1 million on Homes under the hammer #insane
— Brad Allanson (@_BradAllanson) March 25, 2013
10. London’s balmy spring weather allows for an outdoorsy culture
Just seen a bloke eating chips on a step outside the chippy London Road,wrapped in a duvet. I know it’s cold, but seriously?
— Vic Dadson (@thisisvic) March 25, 2013
11. London holds manners and social etiquette in high regard
Just saw the trendiest old man on Carnaby street. He proceeded to snot shot into a bin. Keeping it classy London.
— Hannah Moulder (@Hannahmoulder) March 25, 2013
12. London’s sights and sounds will keep the whole family happy
Kid on bus howling because Piccadilly Circus isn’t a real circus. I hope the rest of his life isn’t a similar disappointment.
— Philippa_Perry (@Philippa_Perry) February 15, 2013
13. London is so good, a lot of people find it very difficult to leave
Just seen a fella sink three cans of Stella on my 0735 train from London to Southampton. — Sean House (@shouseCI) March 25, 2013
So you see it may be snowing in March, but it could be worse.
You could live in a place where the sun always shines, but nothing interesting ever happens.
And if all else fails, we can always laugh at Dalston.
If anything has made you like London lately, or flown into your face on the street, give it a cuddle and let me know.